DIY Interlibrary Loan
What is DIY (Patron-Initiated) Interlibrary Loan?
The Orangeville Public Library offers Patron-Initiated Interlibrary Loan! It's the DIY interface to the provincial Interlibrary Loan System to which the Orangeville Public Library belongs. This system allows you to search the holdings of other Ontario libraries if you can't find what you need here. You can search the database from home or from the Orangeville Public Library. The comprehensive manual for Patron-Initiated Interlibrary Loan is available in the sidebar to the right, but read on for general instructions.
Users who have already registered and been set up with a User ID and Password, and who have read the User's Manual (see sidebar to the right) may proceed directly to INFO - VDX.
Requesting an Interlibrary Loan
The first thing to do is to make sure that we don't already have the item you want to bring in. To determine whether we already own the title, please search BiblioCommons, the Library's online catalogue search tool. You may also phone the Information Desk at 519-941-0610, ext. 5201 and ask an Information Assistants to check into whether we own an item. Once you are sure that Orangeville Public Library does not own the title, you may request it through Interlibrary Loan service.
You must have a valid Orangeville Public Library card and have an Interlibrary Loan patron record created in the system by Library Staff before you can use the online Interlibrary Loan portal. To register, please send an email to with the subject "Interlibrary loan" to and provide your full name, home phone number and library card number. Someone will email you back with your login information as soon as possible. Once you have a valid username and password to use with the system, go to http://info.vdxhost.com/
Click on English or French.
Select Sign In and enter your User ID. Typically this will be the last six numbers of your library card (Example: 02061000123456– you will type 123456). If you have had your library card replaced since registering, the number may be different. Ask at the Information Desk if you have any questions.
Enter your password (this will be assigned to you by our Interlibrary Loan Department and can be changed later - see the full user manual linked in the right-hand sidebar).
Choose Orangeville Public Library as your library location from the Authentication Service drop down menu.
Click on Log In.
Search for the item you want to request:
- Select "Standard" or "Advanced" Search.
- Note the "Current Profile" drop down menu. You will use these search profiles to do your searching.
- ALWAYS select “SOLS Bruce/Wellington/Peel” as your initial search under the "Current Profile" drop down menu.
- Enter keywords from the title, and/or author.
- Select "Details" to verify this is the item you want. Please insure that you choose a record with an ISBN number listed in the record. This is how the system sends the requests to another library. Without an ISBN it will get caught up and have to be handled manually.
- Select "Get it!" to place the request. Item details are automatically entered in the Interlibrary Loan form.
- Complete the form by selected your preferred Pickup Location from the drop down menu at the bottom of the form. In our case the only selection is "Orangeville - Main". In most cases you will not need to make any additional changes to this form. PLEASE NOTE: Interlibrary Loan material is only available for pick up at the Mill St. Library location. No exceptions.
- Click Request to send your request.
- There is no need to print the request as you can view the status of your requests at any time using the "My Requests" link.
- Sign out when you are finished.
Already Registered for Patron-Initiated Interlibrary Loan?
If you have been set up for Patron-Initiated Interlibrary Loan, you will have received a User ID and a password which will enable you to log-in at:
If you are experiencing difficulty in placing your request(s) or logging-in to the INFO Ontario website, please contact an Information Assistant. Call 519-941-0610, ext. 5201.
No matches from the first profile?
If you are unable to find any results searching the "SOLS Bruce/Wellington/Peel" profile, then you can select a different profile. The next profile you should try is "SOLS York/Muskoka", then "SOLS Toronto/Kawartha/401 Area". Still no results? Keep searching through all the profiles if necessary. Please note: almost all requests can be filled with the "SOLS Bruce/Wellington/Peel", "SOLS York/Muskoka" and "SOLS Toronto/Kawartha/401 Area" profiles.
No hits from any INFO profiles?
- Select the "Create Request" option on the left hand menu bar.
- Fill in as much information as you have available.
- Click on "Submit".
We will notify you when:
- The item has arrived. You will receive a phone call notifying you that the item is available for pick-up at the Mill St. location.
- Additional information is needed regarding your request or to approve service charges (this is rarely applicable).
- The request has been cancelled because the item is located at the Orangeville Public Library or the policies of the lending library prohibit loan.
Canceling and/or renewing a request
You cannot cancel or renew a request online. Please contact an Information Assistant at 519-941-0610, ext. 5201 , or Email:
- About the Library
- Books & More
- Hours & Locations
- Information Services
- Library Services
- Programs & Events